1. Before going to school, parents can give their children some anticipation to the school life like: ‘you are going to make a lot of good friends there’, ‘see! you have art class today! I know you are really good at drawing’, or ‘the playground has a nice slide! I am so jealous that you can stay there and use the slide’.
2. Children can bring the security toys or security blanket to school. It can be their favorite toys, books, or photos, which may provides them the feelings of safety and comfort.
3. Parents are suggested to walk their children into school instead of carrying them or holding them, which will possibly make it more difficult for both sides to deal with separation.
4. Avoid being too emotional or overreacted when you leave. We understand that it could be hard for parents to send their kids to school or childcare at the first time. However, lingering around or showing too much emotion may make it harder for the children to go into classroom.
5. Communicate with the teachers and trust the teachers. Normally, preschool teachers and caregivers are professionally trained and have lots of experiences in dealing with such situation. Parents are encouraged to communicate with the teachers proactively (but try not to keep texting them or calling them during the day). Dealing with the anxiety from entering a new environment without the company of parents is also a important part of children’s learning in early childhood. The teachers and parents can work together and make kids’ adjustment more smooth.